Homemade Granola Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Fat-free milk, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine oats and almonds. In a small saucepan, combine the apple juice, syrup, oil, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until heated through. Remove from the heat. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat.
- 2. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in coconut and raisins. Store in an airtight container. Serve with milk if desired. Yield: 5 cups.
1/2 cup (calculated without milk) equals 234 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 133 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.