Homemade Gingerbread Cake with Orange Sauce
I drizzle a basic orange sauce over homemade gingerbread for this old-fashioned dessert. Cut just the number of squares needed, and freeze the rest.—Shannon Sides, Selma, Alabama —Shannon Sides, Selma, Alabama
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ORANGE SAUCE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the molasses, water and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda,
- ginger, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix
- Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at
- 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients until blended. Serve