Homemade Gingerbread Cake with Orange Sauce Recipe
I drizzle a basic orange sauce over homemade gingerbread for this old-fashioned dessert. Cut just the number of squares needed, and freeze the rest.—Shannon Sides, Selma, Alabama —Shannon Sides, Selma, Alabama
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ORANGE SAUCE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, water and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients until blended. Serve with cake. Leftover cake may be frozen for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 servings with sauce plus leftovers.
Reviews for Homemade Gingerbread Cake with Orange Sauce
Reviewed Apr. 17, 2014
"very good!!!! Great for Gingerbread Trifle!!!"
Reviewed Apr. 29, 2012
"awful! very blah and no texture, very disappointed!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC