Homemade Fudge Ice Pops
On hot summer days, these are my kids' favorite frozen treats. They're healthy and economical, too.
20 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 20 freezer pop molds or paper cups (3 ounces each) and wooden pop sticks
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour
- until smooth; gradually add milk. Stir in the brown sugar, cocoa and
- salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool for 20 minutes, stirring
- several times.
- Pour 1/4 cup mixture into molds or paper cups. Top molds with
- holders. If using cups, top with foil and insert sticks through
- foil. Freeze until firm. Yield: 20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 fudge pop equals 121 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,