Homemade Frozen Custard Recipe
My siblings and I had a hard time finding room for dessert after Mom's delicious meals, but when we were ready, we could count on a rich creamy bowl of frozen custard. It's a comforting treat! -Judy Clark, Elkhart, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + freezing YIELD:12 servings
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in the sugar, cornstarch and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in condensed milk and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC