Homemade Fortune Cookies Recipe
Our home is often filled with family and friends, so I'm always cooking up something. I created this recipe when I was looking for a treat to surprise my husband. —Susan Bettinger, Battle Creek, Michigan
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Write fortunes on small strips of paper (3-1/2x1/4-in.); set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a pencil, draw two 3-1/2-in. circles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg white and vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Spread 1 tablespoon batter over each circle. Bake 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Slide parchment paper onto a work surface. Cover one cookie with a kitchen towel. Place a fortune in the center of the other cookie; loosen cookie from parchment paper with a thin spatula. Fold cookie in half over fortune strip so the edges meet; hold edges together for 3 seconds.
- 4. Place center of cookie over the rim of a glass; gently press ends down to bend cookie in middle. Cool 1 minute before removing to a wire rack. Repeat with second cookie. If cookies become too cool to fold, return to oven to soften for 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter and fortunes. Yield: 10 cookies.
1 cookie equals 62 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC