Homemade English Muffin Bread Recipe
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead.
- 2. Grease two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 83 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade English Muffin Bread
"Been making this for years....very good and easy to make."
"this sounds so easy and good. Can't wait to try it."
"This recipe is so simple! Delicious for Saturday morning breakfast -- with an extra loaf to share with the neighbor!"