Homemade English Muffin Bread
Most of my cooking and baking is from scratch, and I think it's worth the time and effort. Everyone enjoys homemade goodies like this delicious bread.
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 5 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking
- soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed 30 seconds,
- scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in
- remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead.
- Grease two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon
- batter into pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in
- a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 83 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.