Homemade English Muffin Bread Recipe
Most of my cooking and baking is from scratch, and I think it's worth the time and effort. Everyone enjoys homemade goodies like this delicious bread.
- 5 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead.
- Grease two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as English Muffin Bread in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p56
Reviews for Homemade English Muffin Bread(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review