Homemade Eggnog Recipe
- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- 1. In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes.
- 2. Pour into a large heat proof bowl; stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 3. When ready to serve, beat cream in a large bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
1 cup: 354 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 220mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 0g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Homemade Eggnog
"Must stir while cooking or it goes lumpy/gritty . Good"
"This was so AMAZING! My family loved it, and it tastes better than what we used to buy from the store. The only thing I would do different is add more nutmeg because I love that nutmeg flavor."
"Excellent recipe! Very smooth but would like a little more thickness to the nog. Yields more than I need, so next time think I will half the ingredients."
"THis is VERY good!!!! I can not buy my favorite kind at the store any more so I've been looking for one to replace it... FOUND IT!!!! right here!!! I do wish I knew how to make it just abit thicker but other then that its perfect!!!!"
"I make this eggnog every year for our Christmas open house and everybody LOVES it. A definite keeper recipe!"
"I ve been making this for years. It never fails. So good!"
"Delicious eggnog! Very easy to prepare, and I definitely will be making it again."
"I never liked eggnog until I made this. I do not buy eggnog in the store because nothing tastes like this recipe! Yummy!!"