Says Pat Waymire of Yellow Springs, Ohio, "This holiday treat is well worth the time it takes to make it."
14 ServingsPrep: 50 min. + chilling
- 12 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt.
- Gradually add 1 qt. of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a
- thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes.
- Pour into a large heat proof bowl; stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and
- remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently
- until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender
- until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a large bowl on high until soft
- peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Pour into a
- chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield:
- 3-1/2 quarts.
Editor's Note: Eggnog may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Whisk before serving.