Homemade Eggnog Recipe
After just one taste, folks will know this holiday treat is homemade, not a store-bought variety. —Pat Waymire, Yellow Springs, Ohio
- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- 1. In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 1 qt. of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes.
- 2. Pour into a large heat proof bowl; stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool. If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 3. When ready to serve, beat cream in a large bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt. punch bowl. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
Reviews for Homemade Eggnog
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC