- 1-1/8 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a small bowl, soften gelatin in cold water; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin and vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Eggnog Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p13
Reviews for Homemade Eggnog Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2015
"Question please--doesn't the pie crust need to be pre-baked and cooled?"
Reviewed Dec. 9, 2011
"This is a favorite in our home. Bonus is that we can make this all year around even when eggnog is not in season to buy in grocery store."
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2010
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2008
"ingredients are missing:1 teaspoon vanilla extract"