Homemade Egg Foo Young Recipe
- 1 can (14 ounces) chop suey vegetables, drained
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined cooked small shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- GREEN PEA SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the chop suey vegetables, shrimp and green onions. Stir in eggs. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Drop vegetable mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet. Cook in batches until browned on both sides, using remaining oil as needed.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and bouillon. Gradually stir in water and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas; heat through. Serve with egg foo yong. Yield: 4 servings.
3 patties with 1/2 cup sauce equals 242 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 298 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.