Homemade Egg Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- 1. Dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 3-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. On a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 3. Punch down. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Divide into six portions. On a floured surface, shape each into a 14-in.-long rope. For each loaf, braid three ropes together on greased baking sheet; pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 135 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Homemade Egg Bread
"Absolutely delicious. .. was a big hit here ant home out of the two loafs only half left..."
"This recipe takes a long time to make! It basically tasted like plain bread. I think it needed more sugar, and salt as a topping. The texture was nice. It tasted good with honey. Overall I thought it took too long for how it tasted."
"Easy to make, all ingredients on hand, great texture. Makes yummy toast and a great gift!"
"I made this bread for Mother's Day and it is unbelievable. I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer with the dough hook attachment to kneed the dough and it was so easy. I also put sugar on one of the loaves for a sweetbread taste and it was unbelievable. You gotta try this bread you'll love it!"
"I'm so used to getting bread dough going in the breadmaker and then baking it in the oven. Do you think I could do that, the kneading & rising portion with this recipe in the breadmaker?"
"I wouldn't change anything!"
"This is a delicious bread recipe. The flavor and texture are wonderful. I'm ready to make more loaves to use in my breakfast casserole recipe."