Homemade Egg Bread Recipe
"People rave about this tender, delicate bread every time I serve it," conveys Livonia, Missouri's June Mullins.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds
- 1. Dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and 3-1/2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. On a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 3. Punch down. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Divide into six portions. On a floured surface, shape each into a 14-in.-long rope. For each loaf, braid three ropes together on greased baking sheet; pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 135 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC