Homemade Devil's Food Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In the top of a double boiler, combine cocoa and 1 cup sugar. Beat 1 egg; add to double boiler. Add 1 cup milk; cook until thick and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, cream shortening and remaining sugar in a large bowl. Add remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with remaining milk to creamed mixture. Add vanilla and cooled cocoa mixture; beat thoroughly. Pour into two greased 8- or 9-in. round baking pans.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Frost with your favorite seven-minute or fudge icing. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 375 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Homemade Devil's Food Cake
"What an outstanding recipe! Although I've never used a double boiler as part of the prep for a devil's food cake, I thought the recipe went together easily. The cakes came right out of the pans and were moist and delicious. (In the future though, I will use 9-inch pans instead of 8-inch, since I thought the layers were a little tall.) I made my grandma's cooked flour & milk frosting instead of fudge or seven-minute frosting, which my husband and I really enjoyed. We thought it was the best devil's food cake I've ever made and I'll definitely be making it again!"