Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 5 cups water
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped leeks (white portion only)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Remove mushroom stems and coarsely chop. Slice mushroom caps into 1/4-in. slices. Set aside mushrooms.
- 2. In a large saucepan, cook the onion, carrot and mushroom stems in oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in the water, thyme sprig, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Set aside 4-1/2 cups broth.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, cook leeks in remaining butter over low heat for 25-30 minutes or just until leeks begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushroom caps; cook 10 minutes longer or until tender.
- 4. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add wine. Stir in the thyme, remaining salt and pepper and reserved mushroom broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the creams and parsley; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 349 calories, 29 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 501 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.