Some cooked dressings can be heavy and overly sweet, especially if they contain cream, but this one isn't. This recipe dates back to 1942. Jewel Kiswer, Cartersville, Georgia
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk the sugar, salt, mustard, paprika and egg yolks until smooth. Gradually whisk in water and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Place the cabbage in a bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Coleslaw Dressing in Country Extra July 2005, p49
Reviews for Homemade Coleslaw Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review