Homemade Chocolate Shortbread Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Beat until dough holds together, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Pat into a 9x4-in. rectangle. Cut into 2x1-1/2-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 dozen.
2 each: 127 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Homemade Chocolate Shortbread
"My family loves shortbread cookies. I doubled the recipe, using about 4 tablespoons of the cocoa. These are delicious cookies. Just a note, when the recipe says to beat until dough holds together, that will take at least the 3 minutes indicated in the recipe. It does look like crumbs at first, but you have to keep beating for at least the full 3 minutes. This shortbread is delicious."
"I've made this recipe twice now, both times with about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips added to the dough. The first time I also had problems getting the dough to stick together; I finally squeezed it with my hands until it went from crumbs to dough (the mixer couldn't do it). The second time I added the dry ingredients bit by bit and it worked better, but then I only scored the rectangle of dough before I baked it, without separating the pieces. I don't recommend doing that, because the outside edge pieces got over-browned before the center ones got baked. Next time I'll separate the pieces again. All in all, we really enjoyed the shortbread."
"It was like an ingredient was missing. I followed the directions to the "T" - kept looking to see if I was doing it right. I finally pressed it into the pan - then it said cut in pieces then put on baking sheet. It was impossible to cut as it was powder - so I baked it in the 9x4 pan in one piece. Havent taken it out of the pan - still cooling but on the other hand it smells good. We will not waste it but eat it with a spoon. Sorry to report this - - was making it to take to my Sunday School class in the morning to have with coffee as we have the lesson."