Homemade Chocolate Shortbread
THIS RECIPE has been in my files for a long time...probably from when I first learned to bake.
Any chocolate lover will like these melt-in-your-mouth cookies. I make them year-round with variations. They're even richer with a thin coat of icing or as a sandwich cookie with frosting in the middle.
-Sarah Bueckert, Austin, Manitoba
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in
- vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture.
- Beat until dough holds together, about 3 minutes.
- Pat into a 9-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. x 1-1/2-in.
- strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a
- Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes
- before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1
Nutritional Facts: 2 cookies equals 127 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.