Homemade Chocolate Shortbread Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Beat until dough holds together, about 3 minutes.
- Pat into a 9-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. x 1-1/2-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork.
- Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Homemade Chocolate Shortbread
Sort By :
I've made this recipe twice now, both times with about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips added to the dough. The first time I also had problems getting the dough to stick together; I finally squeezed it with my hands until it went from crumbs to dough (the mixer couldn't do it). The second time I added the dry ingredients bit by bit and it worked better, but then I only scored the rectangle of dough before I baked it, without separating the pieces. I don't recommend doing that, because the outside edge pieces got over-browned before the center ones got baked. Next time I'll separate the pieces again. All in all, we really enjoyed the shortbread.
I love chocolate shortbread and this is my absolute favorite. It's easy, fast and delicious!
It was like an ingredient was missing. I followed the directions to the "T" - kept looking to see if I was doing it right. I finally pressed it into the pan - then it said cut in pieces then put on baking sheet. It was impossible to cut as it was powder - so I baked it in the 9x4 pan in one piece. Havent taken it out of the pan - still cooling but on the other hand it smells good. We will not waste it but eat it with a spoon. Sorry to report this - - was making it to take to my Sunday School class in the morning to have with coffee as we have the lesson.