Homemade Chocolate Shortbread Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Beat until dough holds together, about 3 minutes.
- Pat into a 9-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. x 1-1/2-in. strips. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick with a fork.
- Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Homemade Chocolate Shortbread
Sort By :
"I've made this recipe twice now, both times with about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips added to the dough. The first time I also had problems getting the dough to stick together; I finally squeezed it with my hands until it went from crumbs to dough (the mixer couldn't do it). The second time I added the dry ingredients bit by bit and it worked better, but then I only scored the rectangle of dough before I baked it, without separating the pieces. I don't recommend doing that, because the outside edge pieces got over-browned before the center ones got baked. Next time I'll separate the pieces again. All in all, we really enjoyed the shortbread."
"I love chocolate shortbread and this is my absolute favorite. It's easy, fast and delicious!"
"It was like an ingredient was missing. I followed the directions to the "T" - kept looking to see if I was doing it right. I finally pressed it into the pan - then it said cut in pieces then put on baking sheet. It was impossible to cut as it was powder - so I baked it in the 9x4 pan in one piece. Havent taken it out of the pan - still cooling but on the other hand it smells good. We will not waste it but eat it with a spoon. Sorry to report this - - was making it to take to my Sunday School class in the morning to have with coffee as we have the lesson."