Homemade Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Our five kids love having these cookies in their lunch boxes and keep asking when I'll make them again. The recipe comes from a family cookbook that was put together for one of our family reunions.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking or rolled oats
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch, cocoa and water until smooth. Stir in sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 260 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC