- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the water, oil, vanilla and vinegar; mix well (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, salt, milk and vanilla; mix well. Spread over cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Homemade Chocolate Cake
"We made this recipe of chocolate cake with the chocolate cream cheese icing for my grand daughters birthday today. It was awesome, good flavor, and good texture. We added an egg to the cake batter and it turned out really good. We highly recommend this recipe."
"After reading the comments, the dense quality was the biggest complaint. I hate a dense cake so I added one egg to the batter. The most delicious fluffy and moist cake I've ever made! I highly recommend."
"Ok I just made this both the cake and frosting and honestly they both are nasty and the smell in our house didn't smell nice like a cake baking. The smell was more of a stink. I follow the exact recipe for the cake and for the frosting and they both are horrible"
"Did not like this at all. Very dense probably cause there are no eggs in it. Won't make again."
"Only tried the frosting, but it was awesome! Also, I used an 8 oz pack of cream cheese instead of a 3 oz."
"its a good recipe but its not my favorite the cake did not taste right without eggs in it. Its also a tad flavorless and its definetly not for cake in a mug"
"It is a delicious moist cake that the whole family loves!"
"This is a moist cake. I like that it doesn't have eggs since I don't always have them on hand. The cream cheese frosting makes this cake extra special."
"Very Excellent Cake My Whole Family Loved It. It Was Very Moist And The Icing Was Also Excellent. I Recommend This Cake For Everybody To Try"
"I made this cake this evening, instead of using cocoa I used special dark cocoa. This cake was a huge hit with my family. It is absolutely delicious. I especially liked that the recipe required no eggs. I didn't have all the ingredients for an icing/frosting, so we drizzled special dark chocolate syrup over the cake and topped it with reddi whip."