- 3-3/4 cups milk
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 slices day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk, chocolate and salt over low heat, stirring until chocolate is melted; whisk until smooth. In a bowl, beat 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth; add extracts. Refrigerate remaining egg whites. Gradually beat chocolate mixture into eggs. Place bread cubes in a bowl; add chocolate mixture. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Place dish in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Fill pan with boiling water to a depth of 1 in. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°. Beat reserved egg whites and remaining sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon around edges of baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Bread Pudding in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p35
Reviews for Homemade Chocolate Bread Pudding(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review