Homemade Chocolate Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups egg whites (about 14), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon chocolate flavoring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream and fudge sauce, optional
- Sift together 1-1/2 cups sugar, flour and cocoa; set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and chocolate flavoring until foamy. Combine cream of tartar, salt and remaining sugar; add a little at a time to bowl. Beat until very stiff but not dry peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture; do not over mix. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and invert pan; allow to cool completely before removing from pan. Serve with ice cream and fudge sauce if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Angel Food Cake in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p11
Reviews for Homemade Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review