Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded, skin removed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion. Add chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce and tomatoes; add broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken.
Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top with chips and cheese.
- 3. Freeze option: Before adding chips and cheese, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Add chips and cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 200 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
"Fantastic delicious we love this soup!"
"We loved the taste of this soup.I changed a few things cause I didn't have a few of the ingredients. (Green Chilies, Diced tomatoes use Rotel instead). I use fresh chicken breast but cooked them with the onion and jalapeno. My family loved it will cook it again"
"This is the best recipe for chicken Tortilla Soup I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot of them, but threw them away when I found this one. You can't go wrong with this recipe."