Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (5 ounces each) white chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion. Add chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin. Stir in tomato sauce and tomatoes; add broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken.
- 2. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top with chips and cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 113 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 1374mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
"Fantastic delicious we love this soup!"
"We loved the taste of this soup.I changed a few things cause I didn't have a few of the ingredients. (Green Chilies, Diced tomatoes use Rotel instead). I use fresh chicken breast but cooked them with the onion and jalapeno. My family loved it will cook it again"
"This is the best recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot of them, but threw them away when I found this one. You can't go wrong with this recipe."
"Our new favorite soup! I use leftover chicken or chopped up cooked chicken breasts instead of canned and add a can of salt free drained black beans and corn. Very flavorful!"