Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 3 cans (5 ounces each) white chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil; add the chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top with chips and cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 113 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 1,374 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
"Fantastic delicious we love this soup!"
"We loved the taste of this soup.I changed a few things cause I didn't have a few of the ingredients. (Green Chilies, Diced tomatoes use Rotel instead). I use fresh chicken breast but cooked them with the onion and jalapeno. My family loved it will cook it again"
"This is the best recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot of them, but threw them away when I found this one. You can't go wrong with this recipe."
"Our new favorite soup! I use leftover chicken or chopped up cooked chicken breasts instead of canned and add a can of salt free drained black beans and corn. Very flavorful!"