Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This soup is as good as (if not better than) any kind I've had in a restaurant. I get so many complements...I know you will, too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded, skin removed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken.
Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top servings with chips and cheese.
- 3. Freeze option: Before adding chips and cheese, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Add chips and cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 200 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2016
"Fantastic delicious we love this soup!"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC