This soup is as good as (if not better than) any kind I've had in a restaurant. I get so many complements...I know you will, too!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 3 cans (5 ounces each) white chicken, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil; add the chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top with chips and cheese. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Tortilla Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p202
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review