- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded, skin removed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion. Add chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce and tomatoes; add broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken.
Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top with chips and cheese.
- Freeze option: Before adding chips and cheese, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Add chips and cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
"Fantastic delicious we love this soup!"
"We loved the taste of this soup.I changed a few things cause I didn't have a few of the ingredients. (Green Chilies, Diced tomatoes use Rotel instead). I use fresh chicken breast but cooked them with the onion and jalapeno. My family loved it will cook it again"
"This is the best recipe for chicken Tortilla Soup I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot of them, but threw them away when I found this one. You can't go wrong with this recipe."