- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 celery rib with leaves, cut into chunks
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides in batches. Remove from pot. Add carrots and onion to same pot; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Return chicken to pot. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Skim off foam. Remove chicken from pot; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove chicken from bones (save meat for another use); return bones and skin to pot.
- Slowly return stock to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 hours longer. Strain stock through a cheesecloth-lined colander; discard vegetables, bones, skin and spices. If using immediately, skim fat. Or cool stock, then refrigerate 8 hours or overnight; remove fat from surface before using. (Stock may be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen 4-6 months.) Yield: about 2 quarts.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Stock
Sort By :
The best!!!! I make this whenever my local grocery store has whole fryers on sale. The browning of the chicken pieces and sauteed vegetables definately adds depth to the stock. This freezes very well and can be used in place of low salt chicken stock in any recipe that calls for chicken stock.
used chicken legs and simmered all day, reduced by half. whole house smelled wonderful.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Homemade Chicken Soup >
- Homemade Soup Stock >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >