Homemade Chicken Stock Recipe
- 1 whole chicken (3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2-1/2 quarts cold water
- 1 celery rib with leaves, cut into chunks
- Cut chicken into parts, reserving back and neck. In a soup kettle, cook chicken breast halves in oil over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes; remove and set aside. Cook remaining chicken pieces, including back and neck, in two batches until browned; set aside. In the same pan, saute the carrots and onion until onion is tender.
- Place seasonings on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag.
- Return chicken to the pan. Add cold water, celery and spice bag. slowly bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Skim foam. Remove chicken breast halves from pan. Remove meat from bones; return bones to pan. Refrigerate chicken breast meat for another use.
- Simmer stock, uncovered, 3-4 hours longer. Strain; discard chicken, bones, vegetables and spice bag. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove fat from surface. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Stock(2)
Sort By :
The best!!!! I make this whenever my local grocery store has whole fryers on sale. The browning of the chicken pieces and sauteed vegetables definately adds depth to the stock. This freezes very well and can be used in place of low salt chicken stock in any recipe that calls for chicken stock.
used chicken legs and simmered all day, reduced by half. whole house smelled wonderful.
More Recipe Collections
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Homemade Chicken Soup >
- Homemade Soup Stock >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >