- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and poultry seasoning until blended; gradually whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and vegetables.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; place pastry sheet over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Potpie
"This recipe got a great approval from my husband! For him, I couldn't add the onion. I used olive oil and skim milk and it tasted wonderful. Filled with chicken and vegetables, this recipe is a keeper!"
"Made this recently when grandchildren were here and everyone loved it! I made my own pastry and seasoned to our taste. Great recipe."
"I recently made this dish for my family from one of your recent one dish meals cookbook i received. It had fewer steps and everyone loved it."
"I added a can of cream of chicken soup ( condensed ), half and half ( instead of 2% milk ) andDiced potatoes ( 1 medium ). I made everything ahead and then heated everything up just before putting pastry top on and placed in oven. You may have to add a little more chicken broth. Do this to suit your preference. I also used canned carrots and frozen peas. Yummmmyyyy!!!!!!! Yummmmmyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!"
"this was an ok recipe. You need to cook it at a lower temp for a longer period of time. 450 for 20 minutes is too short its not cooked enough inside and the crust cooks quick. Overall it was ok"