Homemade Chicken Broth Recipe
Rich in chicken flavor, this traditional broth is lightly seasoned with herbs. Besides making wonderful chicken soups, it can be used in casseroles, rice dishes and other recipes that call for chicken broth. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1. Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface. Yield: about 6 cups.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 245 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Broth
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC