Homemade Chicken Broth Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 to 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1. Place all ingredients in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Skim fat from surface. Yield: about 6 cups.
1 cup: 245 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein .
Reviews for Homemade Chicken Broth
"Its a simple and tasty recipe."
"Its a simple and tasty recipe"
"Good recipe - like the rosemary!"
"This recipe is great as is but I have also used less bay leaf and added 1/2 teaspoon ground sage. Another trick I use is to add about 1 dozen ice cubes to the broth while it is cooling. The fat solidifies and sticks to the cubes which I then scoop out before they melt. This works great if you want to use part or all of the broth right away."
"My family and I have enjoyed this recipe many times since I discovered it. I use chicken drumsticks for the meat. I didn't have any bay leaves or rosemary, so I substituted marjoram and used only 1 onion and it still made a fantastic broth. I also added and extra cup to compensate for the vaporization. Then I'm left with 2 batches of 4 cups of very yummy broth. Why it took me this long to make my own broth, I don't know. This was very easy."