Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
This soothing soup hits the spot on chilly fall and winter days. I frequently simmer up big batches of this soup during the cooler months.—Kevin Bruckerhoff, Columbia, Missouri
- 3 quarts water
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place water, chicken, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 2. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth; add chicken and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 128 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 543 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC