Homemade Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza Recipe
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 24 slices pepperoni, optional
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms in 2 teaspoons oil until tender. In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings.
- 4. Generously grease a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan or dish with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Punch dough down. Roll out into a 15-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Transfer to prepared pan, pressing onto the bottom and halfway up the sides of pan. Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- 5. Spoon half of the sauce over the cheese (save remaining sauce for another use or for dipping). Layer with the sausage, sauteed mushrooms and, if desired, pepperoni; top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- 6. Cover and bake at 450° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake about 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with basil if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 370 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 761 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.