Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
"Our children are now grown and gone, but they always look forward to eating these chocolaty treats when they come back home to visit," relates Lavone Edgar from Nampa, Idaho. Her recipe makes a dozen wholesome bars-enough for the two of you to enjoy and share.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup,
- butter and vanilla. Stir in the oats, sunflower kernels, raisins,
- wheat germ and sesame seeds. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Press into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until set and edges are
- browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1
Editor’s Note: These granola bars are best if allowed to stand, covered, for 1 day before serving.
Nutritional Facts: One bar equals 239 calories,