Homemade Cherry Pie Filling Recipe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in food coloring if desired. Yield: 4 cups.
- 2. For a lattice-crust pie: Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add filling. Make a lattice crust; trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 359 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Homemade Cherry Pie Filling
"Great recipe. Store bought stuff doesn't really do it for me. My only change was to add a dash of cinnamon, cloves, & almond extract."
"Had a bunch of fresh cherries that didn't work so well after freezing in a couple of recipes we tried. Turned out delicious with this recipe!"
"It turned out with a jelly-like consistancy, I'd look else where. It tasted kind of bitter, maybe I need to pick different cherries, but I think it needed more sugar."
"Easy, delicious, exactly what I was looking for. Not gelatin like at all, for me."
"Such an easy recipe and it turned out perfect! Very good! I will be using this recipe again and again."
"this was very good me and my sister loved it :D"
"It came out completely bland and looking like gelatin. My husband and I did not like it at all."