Fresh tart cherries give this pie filling a homemade flavor that's superior to canned.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in food coloring if desired. Yield: 4 cups.
- For a lattice-crust pie: Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add filling. Make a lattice crust; trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Cherry Pie Filling in Backyard Living May/June 2006, p64
Reviews for Homemade Cherry Pie Filling
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review