Homemade Cheesy Potato Soup
It doesn't take long for Tammy Condit, League City, Texas to put bowls of this comforting soup on the table. Convenience items such as canned soup and process cheese simplify the preparation.
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion in butter. Add potatoes
- and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15
- minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in the milk, soup, garlic
- salt and pepper; heat through. Add cheese; stir until cheese is
- melted. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 296 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 781 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.