This recipe earned me a first place ribbon at our state fair a few years ago. The bread's coarse texture makes it great for toasting.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups rye flour
- 2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the honey, butter, caraway seeds, carrot, salt, rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Caraway Rye Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p46
Reviews for Homemade Caraway Rye Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review