Homemade Canned Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 25 pounds tomatoes
- 4 large green peppers, seeded
- 4 large onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge in ice water. Peel and quarter tomatoes.
- 2. In a food processor, cover and process green peppers and onions in batches until finely chopped.
- 3. In a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, green pepper mixture, tomato paste, oil, sugar, salt, garlic, oregano, parsley, basil, pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
- 4. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to each of nine hot 1-qt. jars. Ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 40 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 9 quarts.
3/4 cup equals 118 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.