Homemade Candy Canes Recipe
Try making these candy canes during the holidays. They will look extra special hanging on your Christmas tree. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint or spearmint extract
- 6 drops red or green food coloring
- 1. Grease two baking sheets with butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Immediately pour onto prepared pans in eight 8-in. strips. Let stand just until cool enough to handle, about 1-2 minutes.
- 3. Working quickly, roll each strip into a 10-in. log. Cut each into two 5-in. lengths. Curve the top of each to form the handle of a cane. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 16 canes.
1 candy cane equals 110 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC