Homemade Candy Canes
Try making these candy canes during the holidays. They will look extra special hanging on your Christmas tree. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint or spearmint extract
- 6 drops red or green food coloring
- Grease two baking sheets with butter; set aside. In a large saucepan,
- bring the sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar to a boil.
- Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 280°
- (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Immediately
- pour onto prepared pans in eight 8-in. strips. Let stand just until
- cool enough to handle, about 1-2 minutes.
- Working quickly, roll each strip into a 10-in. log. Cut each into two
- 5-in. lengths. Curve the top of each to form the handle of a cane.
- Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 16 canes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 candy cane equals 110 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.