- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint or spearmint extract
- 6 drops red or green food coloring
- Grease two baking sheets with butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, water, corn syrup and cream of tartar to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Immediately pour onto prepared pans in eight 8-in. strips. Let stand just until cool enough to handle, about 1-2 minutes.
- Working quickly, roll each strip into a 10-in. log. Cut each into two 5-in. lengths. Curve the top of each to form the handle of a cane. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 16 canes.
Reviews for Homemade Candy Canes
"Best candy cane recipe I have come across so far! Super easy to make after a few gos. If you really want a peppermint-y favor, I recommend using 1 tsp. peppermint oil instead of 1 tsp. peppermint extract. I made candy canes previously with extract and couldn't taste the peppermint at all. I found the oil in two 1 tsp. bottles packaged together at Walmart near the icing decor (icing bags, tips, dispensers, etc.)"
"these are a great homemade treat, although having some sort of shaper would be ideal as when i poured mine onto the sheet it ended up in uneven blobs that made it pretty messy.a great idea for gift baskets. they were certainly fun to make."