- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to six dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Homemade Butterscotch Pudding
Sort By :
"How can you call this butterscotch? It simply tastes like milk and nutmeg! A total disappointment...and waste of time and ingredients..It was creamy..like pure thickened cream with nutmeg in it.."
"I made it as written, but when I added the yolk it became chunky. Overall this pudding was not creamy smooth. Taste was ok but would not make again."
"I made the pudding but cut back on the sugar as it seemed to be too much for me and did not use nutmeg. Also, I make my puddings using the microwave. I mix sugar, cornstarch together then add milk in which I have wisked in the egg/s. Place in a microwave safe large measuring cup and cook about 5 minutes. Take it out of microwave and whisk it really well then place back into the microwave until the consistency that one likes. Much easier than standing over the stove stirring pudding so it doesn't burn or stick. Always turns out good and soooooo easy."
"I made this recipe with the decreased nutmeg and my husband loved it. I have made several time now and each time he loves it more. Highly recommend!"
"It is definitely sweet but I like it that way. This was the best pudding I have ever had."