Homemade Butternut Squash Rolls Recipe
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes Stir in the milk, squash, butter, brown sugar and salt. Add whole wheat flour. beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide into 20 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. With a sharp knife, make shallow slashes on top of rolls. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 20 rolls.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Rolls in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p31
Reviews for Homemade Butternut Squash Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2010
My family loves these rolls . A favorite at my house!
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2010
I've made these for years, since I saw the recipe in Light and Tasty when I was first married. They're great!