Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
These old-fashioned biscuits from Bonita Coleman of Camarillo, California are simple to make and rich in homemade taste.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-7 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- 3. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4 biscuits.
1 biscuit equals 146 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC