Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
These old-fashioned biscuits from Bonita Coleman of Camarillo, California are simple to make and rich in homemade taste.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk
- just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-7 times. Pat or roll out
- to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450°
- for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 biscuit equals 146 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.