Homemade Butterfly Cake Recipe
For the cutest cake for a birthday party, try this yummy cake with an easy decoration. The guest will be so impress with this delicious cake.—Bonnie Jost, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Yellow gel or paste food coloring
- Assorted colored sugar
- 6 small gumdrops
- Orange peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, orange peel and extract; beat until combined. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Spoon into two greased 9-in. heart-shaped baking pans; spread evenly in pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. Cut 1-1/2 in. off the pointed ends of each heart cake; set aside. For the butterfly wings, place the cut ends of the heart cakes together on a 17-in. x 15-in. covered board. Trim reserved cake pieces to form the rounded ends of the butterfly's body.
- 3. In a small bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Remove 1/2 cup frosting and tint yellow; set aside. Frost cake sides and top with white frosting. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #6 round tip. Fill bag with remaining white frosting; set aside.
- 4. Frost a portion of each wing with yellow frosting. Decorate butterfly's body and wings with colored sugars. Pipe white frosting to separate colored sections on wings to outline the body. Decorate the wings with gumdrops.
- 5. Using a citrus stripper, cut two 12-in. long pieces of orange peel. Wrap around the handle of a wooden spoon. Remove from spoon and place above the body for antennae. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 775 calories, 40 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 174 mg cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 99 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC