Homemade Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, cream, sugars and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- 2. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. In a small skillet, saute pecans in butter, stirring constantly. Cool.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Stir in toasted pecans. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 207 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Butter Pecan Ice Cream
"Butter Pecan is my husband's favorite ice cream so we were thrilled to find this recipe. I used 2% milk instead of whole and it was still perfectly creamy. We found it too sweet and he thought it had a little bit too much nuts, so next time I will reduce those. I also thought that the vanilla tasted too strong so I may cut that or add it during cooking to reduce the alcohol taste in it. We will DEFINATELY use this recipe again though!"
"My family loved this ice cream! It was creamy and delicious!I cut the sugar in half and then used a half cup of maple syrup in place of the brown sugar.Will be making this again."
"This was super easy to make and I loved the rich, buttery taste of the ice cream paired with the crunch of the pecans. This one is definitely a keeper."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.