Homemade Brown Bread Recipe
This yummy bread has a light texture and includes richly flavored ingredients like molasses, brown sugar and oats. One moist slice from these lovely loaves absolutely calls for another. -Maria Costello, Monroe, North Carolina
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cool to 110°-115°. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with sugar. Add oat mixture, brown sugar, molasses and 3 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 98 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC