Homemade Brown Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cool to 110°-115°. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with sugar. Add oat mixture, brown sugar, molasses and 3 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 98 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Homemade Brown Bread
"Excellent bread. I used 1cup whole wheat flour. The oats were Rogers porridge oats so had wheat bran as well as flax seed. Turned out very good."
"Delicious! Will make again!"
"Should have been 5 stars my mistake."
"Made this bread yesterday and it was great. I exchanged 1.5 cups of the flour with whole wheat flour. Worked well and was a nice moist bread."
"I have yet to make this bread, but I'm wondering if I can triple the recipe without changing the light texture and rich flavor.ThanksRMS"
"Literally the best bread I have ever made. It was so good and it worked out PERFECTLY. Both loaves were gone in a matter of hours...and I am making it again today!"
"We love this bread. We like it for a snack, warmed with a little honey drizzled over it. It also makes really good sandwiches!"
"Makes a wonderful, sweet bread that goes great with almost any meal. We use it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners."
"This recipe makes an excellent moist bread. The entire family loved the sweeter taste of the bread. To add a little nutty flavor, I put in 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour."
"My Aunt invited my husband and I for supper,she was serving baked beans. I made this brown bread and took a loaf with me, it was excellent."