Homemade Brown Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Melted butter
- In a bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cool to 110°-115°. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Sprinkle with sugar. Add oat mixture, brown sugar, molasses and 3 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Homemade Brown Bread(8)
Sort By :
Should have been 5 stars my mistake.
Made this bread yesterday and it was great. I exchanged 1.5 cups of the flour with whole wheat flour. Worked well and was a nice moist bread.
I have yet to make this bread, but I'm wondering if I can triple the recipe without changing the light texture and rich flavor.
Literally the best bread I have ever made. It was so good and it worked out PERFECTLY. Both loaves were gone in a matter of hours...and I am making it again today!
We love this bread. We like it for a snack, warmed with a little honey drizzled over it. It also makes really good sandwiches!