Homemade Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- 4. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil during last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 135 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Bread
"Love this recipe. It's never failed me yet. It stays moist for several days. I add flax seed and whole wheat at times, does very well. Its my favorite bread recipe."
"Good recipe. I did use half white and half whole wheat flour. I wasn't going to make this as I don't use dry milk. One other reviewer said she used 1/4 cup of half and half instead of the dry milk. I made the bread substituting half and half, and it turned out great. That is one of the things I like about Taste of Home. If you don't have everything the recipe calls for, just read the reviews and you will probably come across someone who was able to change the recipe a bit to make it work for them."
"What exactly is " nonfat dry milk powder"? please advise"
"I can not keep up with the want of this bread, Fantastic. Thank you"
"I haven't made this recipe yet , but before I do , I had a quick question , do you need to let the yeast proof at all or not?"
"It was so soft and tasty and such an easy recipe to follow."
"One of the best white bread recipes I've made!"
"Very nice bread, however I found it to be too salty. Would reduce by half next time."
"This is a great recipe for homemade white bread! Normally I do not make white bread at home, preferring to channel my bread-baking energies into other types of breads. However, today we ran out of store-bought sandwich bread (and I don't buy the cheap crap; I'm willing to spend a little more money for decent bread). My husband and my daughter eat a lot of bread. I won't get to the grocery store for another three days. I remembered seeing this recipe and decided to whip up a quick loaf. I halved the ingredients, threw them into the bread machine for the mixing, kneading and first rising, then removed the dough, shaped it, and put it in the pan for the second rising. Perfect. I have bookmarked this recipe."