Homemade Bread Recipe
My husband recalls that on more than one occasion while he was growing up, he stayed home from school sick, napped on the couch and woke to the aroma of his mother's freshly baked bread. That's enough to make anyone feel better!—Denise Baumert, Dalhart, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- 4. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil during last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 135 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC