Homemade Bread Bowls Recipe
Instead of offering bread with you favorite kettle creation, our Test Kitchen home economists suggests serving it inside of these bread bowls!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into eight pieces; shape each into a ball. Grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place four balls 3 in. apart on each prepared pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For bread bowls, cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill with chili, chowder or stew. Yield: 8 bread bowls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 545 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 623 mg sodium, 87 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Homemade Bread Bowls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC