- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil during last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Homemade Bread
"I LOVE, this recipe, i,VE been baking bread for years, and this one is the best! I don't have powdered milk, so I just put in instead 1/4cup of half and half and it's DELICIOUS! !!!!! I T S #10 ALL THE WAY!!??????????RATING IS 10 STAR."
"Nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread. I fight for those end pieces! Will be making this again!Nonfat dry milk powder is a dry milk. When water is added, you get "milk." Can be found in the baking aisles of grocery stores."
"What exactly is " nonfat dry milk powder"? please advise"
"I can not keep up with the want of this bread, Fantastic. Thank you"
"I haven't made this recipe yet , but before I do , I had a quick question , do you need to let the yeast proof at all or not?"
"excellent bread!! It was my first time to bake bread and everyone was impressed at how good it was! I didnt tell them I simply had a good recipe ;-)"
"Very very good. I did the same as one reviewer, I mixed it up in the bread machine and then did the second rise and baking in the oven. Very moist and just overall good taste."
"It was so soft and tasty and such an easy recipe to follow."
"My bread came out delicious and this was the first time I was making bread , I found it very easy !"