- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onions, celery, carrot,
- peppers and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato paste, herbs
- and seasonings to the bean mixture. Add the sauteed vegetables;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until
- beans are tender. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with chopped tomato if
- desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and tomato paste and without salt) equals 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat; also 187 calories, 48 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 30 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 4 gm fat.