I remember digging into flaky, gravy-smothered biscuits on Christmas morning and other special occasions when I was a child. What a satisfying way to start the day!—Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Featured In: 17 Festive Christmas Brunch Ideas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- SAUSAGE GRAVY:
- 1 pound bulk maple pork sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and, if desired, pepper. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll dough to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with warm biscuits. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Biscuits & Maple Sausage Gravy in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Homemade Biscuits & Maple Sausage Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2014
"Made these biscuits last night and they were delicious! I had all the ingredients on hand and the recipe was easy to follow. The best part was everyone had seconds and there were no leftovers..."