Homemade Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast or boneless beef rump roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2/3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups water. Stir into beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Combine flour and remaining water; gradually stir into beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 298 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 958 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.