- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast or boneless beef rump roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-2/3 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, seasonings and 1-1/2 cups water. Stir into beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine flour and remaining water; gradually stir into beef mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hungarian Goulash in Reminisce May/June 1992, p39
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Homemade Beef Stew(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review