Homemade Bagels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Sesame or poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, salt and egg yolk; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten bagels slightly.
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Homemade Bagels(9)
Sort By :
I was always afraid to try to make bagels until I tried this recipe. Now I make them with fresh fruit mixed in the dough and they come out great. Thanks for the inspiration.
never tried bagel baking before. It was basic enough that I could follow it, but I do wish there were pointers on how to add fun stuff like cheese. Do you need to modify wet/dry ingredient ratio?
This was my first attempt at making bagels. I will be making them again
Did not rise properly; did not rise much in the oven. Fairly bland and tasteless
You can also roll out the dough, place your favorite sausage in it ( I use chilli cheese brats) then seal and boil and bake as directed. Homemade bagel dogs are a real treat.